Coaching is a funny old business. It’s been around for years in sport and more recently business but a lot of people still seem a bit unsure what it’s all about especially in relation to them – if you’re not wanting to up you game in a sport or get better results in your business then is coaching relevant to you?
Hell yes! Is my answer but then I’m biased, so I’d better explain…
I used to be very stoic and just get on with things, not wanting to bother anyone by asking for help and priding myself on my resilience, that I’d cope with anything life could through at me. And it certainly felt that it did through the few ‘challenges’ that came my way (although I now appreciate that I was co-creator of my chaos). I was on autopilot and to everyone in my life I my have seemed happy and content but I didn’t feel it…in honesty I didn’t know I wasn’t connected to myself until I started my own coaching journey. I knew I wanted more out of life than I was getting but I couldn’t put my finger on what I wanted never mind how I could get it.
Cue NLP. It’s amazing how things come into your life at the right time, often in disguise but when you’re willing to open the door and explore what’s inside it’s then that we find new doors to possibilities we didn’t even know existed.
I trained in NLP to complement my career guidance skills…obviously for the benefit of my clients and never once thinking it was going to help me find my own mojo again…and keep it, by using the techniques I’ve learned and allowing myself to now be supported by others, including my own coaches over the years.
So here is my take on what may help you better understand what coaching is and how it IS relevant to you.
- No one NEED’s a coach, you can plod on perfectly ok without one. That said…if you really want to see your best results, if you really want to get the most out of ANY opportunity or situation, then coaching is a sure fired way to get inspired, motivated, connect with what YOU really want and be supported in your journey towards achieving your goals. In fact, all coaching is life coaching. Most people come with a particular are they want to work on and improve in and 9 times out of 10, whatever is holding them back from being their very best is something going on in their broader life.
- There is no such thing as perfect. Sorry about bursting this bubble! The grass may well seem greener on the other side and coaching helps you to water your own grass so you love what you have…and if you want to move that’s fine too as you’ll be doing it because it supports your true aspirations rather than envy or dissatisfaction. Your journey is just as important as your destination. Coaching helps you create a journey that you will enjoy just us much as your arrival.
- Coaching won’t create an amazing life for you. Neither will it make you happy. YOU do that. Coaching is a process where what’s going on for you is reflected back to you as you are encouraged to do more of what works and resolve and change the things that don’t. Your coach is your ally, holding your space and believing in you while asking you to commit to taking actions that will help you achieve what you want.
- A coach will not tell you what to do. The most empowering thing about coaching is the realisation that you actually have everything you need right now to start creating the life and work you want. You have the answers you need although you may not be consciously aware of them right now. Through the skilled questions you are asked during each coaching session together with the space and support to reflect and trust yourself you will blossom as you tap into your potential.
- It’s not navel gazing. It’s not woo woo. It’s not indulgent. If you are committed to being the best person you can be, to being the best role model you can be, to living a satisfying life then coaching is something to seriously consider. I firmly believe that we all have a responsibility for our personal development and to shine. Our families, communities, businesses and world need inspired and resourceful people. So if you believe the saying, be the change you want to see, then it’s fair to say that it will be worthwhile you exploring investing in coaching.
If you’ve not worked me yet check out my services and step your toe in the water and experience the benefit of coaching with one of my Discovery sessions.
I’d love you to share your thoughts so please comment below or if you know someone who would be interested in reading this then please feel free to share 🙂